Wisconsin Reality Tour: Globalizing Justice
Voces de la Frontera in partnership with other organizations throughout Wisconsin is organizing the Wisconsin Reality Tour - Globalizing Justice. This week of events will bring awareness and action throughout the state. Below, I've included a summary of the week, with an overview of the week of events- for more information please visit: http://www.vocesdelafrontera.net/ Wisconsin Reality Tour- Globalizing Justice
Given the historic mass marches and the current debate in Congress over immigration reform, the goal of this tour would be to travel to different parts of the State of Wisconsin to pre-arranged town hall forums, church, or classroom where the public and political leaders are invited to hear public testimony on the ways immigrant and non-immigrant families have been impacted by our broken immigration system and to better understand the nature of the problem.
Specifically, speakers would include workers and two local business owners affected by the Star Packaging raid in Whitewater, Wisconsin. A Voces de la Frontera speaker would provide a power point presentation on our outdated and discriminatory immigration system and the impact of recent trade agreements on mass migration to the United States and declining living standards for workers in the United States. We would also like to feature two other speakers at each location that includes a worker in the manufacturing sector impacted by the North America Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) or other free trade agreements and a representative of the agricultural industry (farmer, dairy farmer, etc.). Potential speakers from other allied immigrant groups include: Africans in Milwaukee, Hmong or Filipino community, and the Irish Cultural Heritage Center.
We want to encourage broad outreach for these events in order to have a respectful but spirited dialogue with people to better understand the nature of the problem and to see the interconnectedness of immigration policies with other national policies that impact working class families in Wisconsin and in the nation.
This would be followed by a call to action by participants interested in supporting the immigrant right movement which could include: individuals joining Voces de la Frontera, churches affiliating with WISDOM, organizations joining the Wisconsin Legalization Coalition, collaborating on upcoming Days of Action (such as mobilizations, press conferences, calls, letters, etc.), i.e. playing an active role in the movement.
We would work with the media and with web communications to feature up to date local, state, and national coverage of the tour. As well, as potentially set up day time interviews with radio stations, TV stations and editorial boards of local newspapers.
We are asking a local group in the following cities and dates to host an event (identify a location and set the time) and then work with allied local groups to broad outreach for the event.
Schedule: Monday, June 21-Sunday, June 27
• Monday, June , 2007— Milwaukee: Morning Send off for the Reality Tour Whitewater: Day event at UW-Whitewater Logistical coordinators: Sigma America
• Tuesday, June , 2007— Janesville: Evening or day event Logistical coordinators: potential local host UAW & LCLAA
• Wednesday, June , 2007--- Madison: Day Event Logistical Coordinators: MECHA, SCFL, Madison Workers Center La Crosse: Evening Event Logistical Coordinators: State Senator Kapankee, League of Women Voters, State AFL-CIO
• Thursday, June , 2007-- Green Bay: evening event Logistical Coordinators: WISDOM, UFCW, Peace Action
• Friday, June , 2007— Sheboygan: Day time event Logistical Coordinators: UAW, Methodist Church, Latino Social Service agencies
• Saturday, June , 2007 Wausau: Morning Event Wisconsin Dells: Afternoon event
• Sunday, June , 2007--- Racine VF Racine