Tuition Equity Clears Oregon State Senate, Now it’s on to the House
By Guest Blogger Yesterday, the Oregon State Senate voted 18 to 11 to pass Senate Bill 742, Oregon’s Bipartisan Tuition Equity Bill. The bill now moves on to the Oregon State House for debate and a final vote.
We need to take action immediately to ensure that the Oregon State House follows suit and passes this important legislation. Please call your State Representative and the House Leadership TODAY and tell them you support Tuition Equity for Oregon and would like them to support it, too.
"I support Oregon’s Bipartisan Tuition Equity Bill (SB 742) because access to affordable higher education is important for the future of ALL Oregon students and for Oregon’s economy. It capitalizes on Oregon’s investment in K-12 students, moves engaged young immigrants toward citizenship, helps them build productive futures in Oregon and will boost the education level of Oregon's workforce. For these reasons, I hope you will support SB 742 and vote "Yes" when it comes up for a vote."
To find your State Representative, go to http://www.leg.state.or.us/findlegsltr/ or call 1-800-332-2313 and ask for them by name.
House of Representatives Leadership:
- Co-Speaker of the House Bruce Hanna - (R-Roseburg) 503-986-1200
- Co-Speaker of the House Arnie Roblan - (D-Coos Bay) 503-986-1300
- Co-Speaker Pro Tempore Representative Tina Kotek - (D-N/NE Portland) 503-986-1444
- Co-Speaker Pro Tempore Representative Andy Olson - (R-Albany) 503-986-1415
- House Republican Leader Representative Kevin Cameron - (R-Salem) 503-986-1419
- House Democratic Leader Representative Dave Hunt - (D-Clackamas County) 503-986-1900
Although calling is the best method to contact your State Representative, we invite you to also use our online form to contact them via email/fax: http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5535/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=6235
After you send your email/fax, you will then be directed to an online petition to add your name to that we will hand deliver to Oregon State Representatives.
Thank you for helping to pass this important legislation for Oregon students and Oregon's future!