Los Angeles will march for immigration reform TODAY
Today, thousands of immigration reform advocates gathered for a rally, a march and a panel discussion to move immigration reform forward in 2010.
The event will kick ed off at 11:00AM PST with a rally at the Van Nuys City Hall, 14410 Sylvan St.Van Nuys, California 91401. For full details - check out the event listing here. After the rally, advcoates are convening at the Church on the Way in Van Nuys for a panel discussion and a Q&A session.
Follow the panel discussion live by following @willcoley on Twitter. Here are some updates from earlier today:
Van Nuys is nice! Sun is out & so are marchers for immigration reform!
Marchers in Van Nuys approaching Church on the Way for forum with reps.
Folks are filling sanctuary in Van Nuys to hear community leaders PREACH immigration reform!
The panel has a spectacular, and diverse, line-up of guests, including faith leaders, immigrant rights activists, elected officials and academics. Check out the list of panelists below. And be sure to follow Will here!
- Robert Gittelson – Entrepreneur and long-time advocate for Comprehensive Immigration Reform - Introductory remarks, acknowledgements, introduction of moderator Jim Tolle
- Dr. Jim Tolle, One of the foremost faith leaders for CIR, and one of the most well known and nationally respected faith leaders in the country as Pastor of The Church on the Way, who testified before the Senate Sub-Committee on CIR in Oct. ’09.
- Juan Jose Gutierrez, founding member of the Full Rights for Immigrants coalition, and a long-time community and national leader and activist for human and equal rights.
- Rt. Reverend Father Alexei Smith of the Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles, and their spokesperson for CIR.
- Angelica Salas, Executive Director of the Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles, (CHIRLA).
- Bernie Wolfsdorf, President of the American Immigration Lawyers Association, (AILA).
- Dr. Manuel Pastor, Professor at U.S.C., Director of USC's Program for Environmental and Regional Equity (PERE) and co-Director of USC's Center for the Study of Immigrant Integration (CSII).
- Dr. Juan Hernandez, Founder of the Center for U.S.-Mexico Studies at the University of Texas, and former cabinet member for Vicente Fox.
- Rep. Dr. Judy Chu (D- Cal. 32nd), member of the Judiciary Sub-Committee on Immigration, (along with Rep. Howard Berman), as well as the Government Oversight Committee.