Immigrant Grassroots Groups in Historic Push for Dream Act
As a vote on the DREAM Act looms closer, grassroots groups who make up the Fair Immigration Reform Movement (FIRM) are stepping up efforts to show their Congressional Representatives that their communities urgently want the DREAM Act to pass. From California to Maine, immigration activists are flooding congressional offices with calls, faxes and emails, holding press conferences, staging caravans and rallies, and writing letters to the editor.
If you haven't already, dial 866-967-6018 and we will connect you with your Representative. Tell them to vote YES on the DREAM Act.
FIRM, for those of you who don't know, is a coalition comprised of more than 200 of the country’s largest and most active state and local immigration advocacy groups representing nearly every state. FIRM’s organizations are all actively courting the support of their Congressional Representatives and communities with varied and creative actions. In Wisconsin, activists with Voces de la Frontera were arrested during a vigil at Rep. Paul Ryan's Racine office. In California, activists with the Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles (CHIRLA) are caravanning through the state asking for commitments of support from the state’s representatives. In Illinois, the Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights is gathering signatures of support from presidents of universities.
Upcoming actions include:
- Friday, December 3: DREAMers stage mock graduation at Sen. Scott Brown’s Christmas party (5:45 p.m. EST, meeting at Arlington St. and Boylston St. to walk to the Park Plaza Hotel)
- Friday, December 3: Rallies in front of the offices of Rep. Mary Bono-Mack at 9 a.m. (Palm Springs) and Rep. Jerry Lewis at 12 p.m. (Redlands)
- Thursday, December 2: DREAM Act Night in Little Village to help undocumented students with college applications and to drive calls
- Saturday, December 4: DREAM Act College Forum, Cicero Public Library, at 12 p.m.
- Thursday, December 2: Kicking off a phone blitz to generate thousands of new calls to Congress, specifically from New York’s Asian American community
Connect with these groups today and join them at these events.
And don't forget to dial 866-967-6018 and tell your Representative to vote YES on the DREAM Act
[image: RI4A Flickr]