On June 19, thousands of people from across the country will gather in homes, offices, coffee shops, and places of worship to discuss how the overreach of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is undermining the civil liberties and human rights of people living in America.
Why do it?
In the name of national security, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) DHS has adopted practices that routinely violate basic rights of people in this country, including immigrants. Most people do not realize these violations of human rights and civil liberties are taking place. If we let the government continue to violate the rights of some, it puts all of our freedoms at risk.
- Warrantless and aggressive raids on homes and workplaces
- Inhumane detention conditions
- A huge backlog in citizenship applications caused partly by DHS’ practice of targeting people of certain nationalities for extra security checks
- Raise awareness and educate people about what’s going on in our own backyard
- Engage people to reassert this country’s democratic principles
- Build power at the grassroots level to effect changes in DHS policies
For more information and resources click here.